The City of Alcoa was established by Chapter No. 510 of the 1919 Private Acts of the State of Tennessee, effective July 1, 1919. Established by the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA)(now Alcoa, Inc.), the company's chief engineer E. S. Fickes and hydraulic engineer R. F. Ewald laid out the plan for the area, which came to be the first planned community in the state of Tennessee. The plan originally encompassed five and a half square miles with an anticipated population of 10,000. In the original plan the City was divided into four sections, namely Bassel, Hall, Springbrook, and Vose sections.