Following the monthly meeting of the City of Alcoa Board of Commissioners and the Alcoa Regional/Municipal Planning Commission, meeting hightlights will be posted here.
Board of Commissioners Meeting Highlights
- One Book Blitz Proclamation - Proclaimed support of the community-wide reading experience that provides every K-5th grade student in the Alcoa, Maryville, and Blount County school systems along with Maryville Christian School, their own personal copy of the book Charlotte's Web as well as support resources for parents. This first ever collaboration among the Blount County schools is sponsored by Clayton Homes, First Tennessee Foundation, Arconic, Blount Memorial Hospital, and Denso. Book partners includ Lamar Printing, LeConte Realty, Newell Brands, Y12 Federal Credit Union, Jayson Mullen Design & Photography, and Chick-fil-A Restaurants of Blount County.
- Transfered blighted property at 231 W. Newcomen Street to Habitat for Humanity. The property was in condemnation and will now be demolished and the property redeveloped and placed back on the tax rolls.
- Reappointed Willam C. Cochran to the Blount County Cable Television Authority for a four-year term.
December 13, 2016
- Commissioners-Elect Sworn In - The newly elected commissioners, Ken White and Jim Buchanan were administered the oath of office and duly sworn in to serve their terms.
- Leslie Baker, Jr. was re-appointed to the Alcoa Development & Housing Authoritys for a 5-year term from 01/12/2017 - 01/11/2022.
John Rochelle was re-appointed to the Alcoa Regional Planning Commission for a 3-year term from 01/22/2017 - 01/21/2020.
October 11, 2016
- Demolition of Former Police Facility – The Board of Commissioners approved the execution of an amendment to the current contract with Renascent, Inc. that calls for the demolition of the former Hall Road Municipal Building to also include the demolition of the former Joule Street police site.