Commission Updates

Following the monthly meeting of the City of Alcoa Board of Commissioners and the Alcoa Regional/Municipal Planning Commission, meeting hightlights will be posted here.

Board of Commissioners Meeting Highlights

May 9, 2017 

The City of Alcoa Board of Commissioners voted to authorize the Mayor to execute a contract between the City of Alcoa and the Knoxville-Knox County Metropolitan Planning Commission for the provision of planning activities (Master/Vision Plan for Redevelopment of the former Alcoa, Inc. West Plant site).

The Knoxville Regional Transportation Planning Organization, which is under the umbrella of the Knoxville-Knox County Metropolitan Planning Commission, has approved a City of Alcoa project update to its FY2016-2017 TPO Planning Work Program. Specifically, the update provided an opportunity for the City to request funding for the development of a master/vision plan to guide mixed-use redevelopment of the former Alcoa West Plant site. Although conceptual plans have been prepared in the past, these plans never materialized and now development pressures associated with the current roadway construction give rise for development of a guiding plan. Additional approvals required by the Tennessee Department of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration’s Multi-model Division have been granted. The total funding requested and approved is $60,000, with 10% (or $6,000) of this cost to be matched by the City. Development of such a plan is to be undertaken by a selected consulting firm specializing in this area, as part of the request for proposals process. Execution of the contract shall be subject to final approval by the City Attorney.

April 11, 2017
The City of Alcoa Board of Commissioners approved a resolution implementing an increase of $1.00 per month to the Customer Charge for all classes of Electric customers subject to the approval of TVA. If approved, the Customer Charge would be effective on or about October 1, 2017. This is proposed to fund additional tree trimming efforts of the Electric Department. The $1.00 per month increase equates to less than 1% for the average residential customer.


March 14, 2017
Fire Engineers Kevin James and Shane Rogers both received commendations from the City for their life saving actions during the Gatlinburg fires in November 2016. 

February 14, 2017

At its February meeting, the City of Alcoa Board of Commissioners awarded two bids for road constructions projects in the City. One bid is for a local interstate connector (LIC) for the former Alcoa Inc. West Plant redevelopment.  The second bid covers improvements to Hall Road and Associates Blvd. intersection along with the extension of the boulevard to the West Plant LIC.  

  • LIC Project - The LIC project will include a 1.89-mile, four-lane boulevard cross section from Hall Road (SR 35) north to the Hunt Road (SR 335) and Alcoa Highway Interchange (SR 115). Also included is the partial construction of the future on and off ramps for the Hunt Road Interchange Improvements the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) is scheduled to construct in the fall of 2018. The $9.2 million project will be funded by the City. Click here for map.
  • Hall Road and Associates Boulevard Intersection – This project will include traffic signalization upgrades and create a new southbound left-turn lane onto Associates Boulevard. Associates Boulevard will be extended to the LIC to serve the new development area and be renamed Tesla Boulevard beginning at the Hall Road intersection. This $696.589.75 project is City funded. 
  • Tesla Boulevard - The approximately 0.73 mile Tesla Boulevard extension project will begin at the intersection of the LIC Road to the planned roundabout at the intersection of Springbrook Road and East Edison Street. Plans will be developed for a single lane median divided boulevard section up to the entrance of the Alcoa Schools Campus (relocated Lodge Street) followed with a three-lane roadway section. Additionally, the roadway is planned to split into two single lane alignments to utilize the existing rail underpass on the property for southbound traffic and a new single lane underpass for the northbound traffic. The underpasses will accommodate crossings for the Duck Pond Walking & Biking Trail - Phase 2 project. This $8.7 will be funded by a Surface Transportation Block Grant with the state paying 80 percent of the project and the City the remaining 20 percent which will come from $554,380 left over from the 2010 U.S. 129 Pedestrian Bridge project.  Click here for map.
  • Duck Pond Walking & Biking Path – Phase I – A grant contract with the Tennessee Stormwater Association (TNSA) was approved to construct green infrastructure in association with the Duck Pond Walking & Biking Path – Phase I. The grant will reimburse the City for up to 80% (not to exceed $29,057.00) of approved project costs. The City will provide non-state matching funds of at least 20% of the total costs of the grant. Green infrastructure is an approach to water management that protects, restores, or mimics the natural water cycle. As an example, bank stabilization traditionally has used hard armoring such as rip-rap to minimize erosion. A green infrastructure method would be to plant water loving plants native to the area with deep root systems and use other natural materials as a barrier to minimize sediment release. 
  • Greenway Restrooms – The City has been awarded a $111,000 Recreational Trails Program 80/20 grant for the construction of permanent restrooms along the Greenway near the City of Alcoa Municipal building. The City will be responsible for the 20 percent of the cost of the project is $138,011 with the grant covering the remaining 80 percent.

January 10, 2017

  • One Book Blitz Proclamation - Proclaimed support of the community-wide reading experience that provides every K-5th grade student in the Alcoa, Maryville, and Blount County school systems along with Maryville Christian School, their own personal copy of the book Charlotte's Web as well as support resources for parents. This first ever collaboration among the Blount County schools is sponsored by Clayton Homes, First Tennessee Foundation, Arconic, Blount Memorial Hospital, and Denso. Book partners includ Lamar Printing, LeConte Realty, Newell Brands, Y12 Federal Credit Union, Jayson Mullen Design & Photography, and Chick-fil-A Restaurants of Blount County.  
  • Transfered blighted property at 231 W. Newcomen Street to Habitat for Humanity. The property was in condemnation and will now be demolished and the property redeveloped and placed back on the tax rolls. 
  • Reappointed Willam C. Cochran to the Blount County Cable Television Authority for a four-year term.  

December 13, 2016

  • Commissioners-Elect Sworn In - The newly elected commissioners, Ken White and Jim Buchanan were administered the oath of office and duly sworn in to serve their terms.
  • Re-Appointments
    • Leslie Baker, Jr. was re-appointed to the Alcoa Development & Housing Authoritys for a 5-year term from 01/12/2017 - 01/11/2022.
    • John Rochelle was re-appointed to the Alcoa Regional Planning Commission for a 3-year term from 01/22/2017 - 01/21/2020.

October 11, 2016
Demolition of Former Police Facility – The Board of Commissioners approved the execution of an amendment to the current contract with Renascent, Inc. that calls for the demolition of the former Hall Road Municipal Building to also include the demolition of the former Joule Street police site.