A very important project to improve traffic between Alcoa and Maryville was the completion of the Hall Road Viaduct into Maryville and dedicated October 28, 1946 (pictured at right). The Viaduct was a state-federal project, and according to the first city manager V.J. Hultquist, “allowed much closer relations with our good neighbor Maryville, from whom we have always received the utmost in cooperation and good will.”
Since its beginning, the City's Public Works Department has provided superior levels of service including providing water and wastewater service, solid waste collection, and street construction and maintenance to its customers.
The City's water treatment, storage, and distribution systems were originally constructed in the early 1900's by Alcoa Inc. to provide potable water to its three manufacturing plants and its employees that were housed in what became the City of Alcoa.
In 1960, the ownership and operation of the water system was conveyed to the City's Public Works Department. Since 1960, the water system has expanded well beyond the City's municipal boundaries. In fact, the City of Alcoa's water system now serves more customers outside the City's municipal boundary than inside. Water is also sold to two adjacent utility districts and to the City of Maryville.
Immediately after taking ownership of the water system, the City replaced the original water treatment plant with an eight million gallon per day sand filtration plant (MGD). Two expansions of the plant brought the rated capacity to 24 MGD. With the plant nearing the end of its useful life, on April 5, 2005, the City broke ground on construction of a new membrane filtration plant that can easily be expanded to accommodate the growth of the system. The new filter plant was completed and became fully operational in March 2007.