The Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting has been awarded to City of Alcoa by Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for its comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR). Read on...
The Alcoa Fire Department was organized in July 1942. The department moved into its headquarters at 1050 Springbrook Road (now the Public Works and Engineering Building) upon its completion in 1943. Then, in 1972 the department moved to 271 Joule Street and remained there until August 20, 2001 when it moved into the new Public Safety Building located at 2010 North Wright Road. Station No. 2 is temporarily located at the City of Maryville's Station 1 at 402 W Broadway in Maryville, and Station 3 was built on Topside Road.
Through the years, not only has the Alcoa Fire Department served as the City’s first response team for fires and other emergencies like diving rescue situations for area lake or river emergencies. The department also created the City of Alcoa annual Freedom Fest fireworks show that celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2006.
The Alcoa Police Department has had three previous service locations: the Mule Barn on Hall Road in the late 1940’s and 50’s, the former Municipal Building on Bessemer Street in the 1960’s, and the Joule Street location (now Alcoa Fire Department Station No. 2) from 1972 to 2001.
The present facility, the City of Alcoa Public Safety Headquarters, is a state of the art facility designed by the members of the police department. With approximately 20,000 square feet, it is 5 times larger than the Joule Street location. In 1972, the department employed 21 police personnel. Today, Alcoa Police Department employs 49 people at the North Wright Road headquarters.
Since the early years, both Alcoa Fire Department and Alcoa Police Department play a key role in the community. Each department brings opportunities for educating citizens on home and personal safety through schools, churches, or member organizations.