Definition of Class
|Performs a variety of complex supervisory, professional, administrative and technical accounting and finance functions in maintaining the fiscal records and systems of the City. The incumbent Serves as the City Recorder and is responsible for Citywide finance functions. Provides direct supervision over Assistant Finance Director, Office Manager, and IT Supervisor with general direction over entire Finance Department. Works under the general direction of the City Manager.|
Essential Duties Performed
• Serves as the City Recorder;
• Gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations;
• Coordinates department activities with other departments and agencies as needed;
• Communicates official plans, policies and procedures to staff and the general public;
• Performs cost control activities, monitors revenues and expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control;
• Assures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time;
• Issues written and oral instructions;
• Assigns duties and examines work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures;
• Prepares a variety of studies, reports and related information for decision-making purposes;
• Serves as chief financial advisor to the City Manager;
• Establishes and maintains internal control procedures and assures that state and national standard accounting procedures are maintained;
• Supervises the collection of taxes, fees, and other receipts in accordance with laws and regulations;
• Oversight responsibility for annual audit process/complying with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
• Maintains financial records;
• Develops financial studies and plans;
• Forecasts, estimates, and monitors the financial condition of the City to assure the fiscal well being of the City;
• Prepares financial reports;
• Oversees the central computerized financial and management information system of the City;
• Assists in budget preparation and execution;
• Directs the preparation of state and Federal reports, including tax reports;
• Oversees utility and other billings;
• Oversees the investment of City funds.
OTHER DUTIES PERFORMED
• Develops finance-related ordinances and resolutions;
• Acts as retirement board Chairperson;
• Represents the city at various conferences and meetings;
• Perform general management duties for the city manager as assigned;
• Performs cost-of-service studies for utility rate considerations.
Minimum Education Requirements
|• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in accounting, finance, business or public administration, or a closely related field, and|
• Five (5) years of progressively responsible municipal finance work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities - • Considerable knowledge of modern governmental accounting theory, principles, and practices;|
• Considerable knowledge of internal control procedures and management information systems;
• Considerable knowledge of office automation and computerized financial applications;
• Considerable knowledge of public finance and fiscal planning; Considerable knowledge of payroll and accounts payable functions;
• Working knowledge of budgetary, accounting and reporting systems, GAAFR, GAAP and GASB;
• Ability to prepare and analyze complex financial reports; ability to maintain efficient and effective financial systems and procedures;
• Ability to effectively supervise staff;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials;
• Ability to communicate effective orally and in writing.
|Special Requirements - Must be bondable. Must possess a CMFO (Certified Municipal Finance Officer) certification or equivalent exemption.|
|While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk.|
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The duties described in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not excuse them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.