Software Support Specialist
Closes On: March 18, 2022 at 05:00 PM EST
Department: Information Systems
Job Status: Full-Time
Shift: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Definition of Class
|The Software Support Specialist serves as an internal customer support position charged with maintaining existing software applications to conform to changing user requirements. The position analyzes business practices to educate and assist city staff in utilizing systems to improve practices, provides user training on new or existing data application functions and data processing procedures, assists users by providing technical support in response to incidents pertaining to assigned applications, and coordinates with vendors to provide vendor-level support of applications as necessary. The position is expected to perform as a Subject Matter Expert to city staff on their assigned applications and facilitates, and/or participates in the deployment of new applications, modifications to current applications, and the retirement of applications when necessary.|
Essential Duties Performed
- Communicate with software/technology vendors.
- Consistently provide excellent customer service.
- Communicate to the customer the status of requests for technical assistance as well as establishes a service level expectation with them.
- Provide information concerning operational and/or technical problems, new products, or other issues as appropriate.
- Follow all relevant standards and procedures.
- Advise management on situations that may require additional client support or escalation.
- Assists in training staff in the use of computer hardware and software;
- Thoroughly document incident descriptions, activities and resolutions.
- Determine root cause of issues and communicate appropriately to internal and external customers.
- Research, test, analyze and repair routine and complex software issues.
- Create application and data reports as necessary to support internal initiatives, client request or other city related needs.
- Perform daily application monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of the data and software.
- Apply application updates, patches, and configuration changes.
- Provide advanced technical support after normal work hours when necessary.
- Responsible for documenting the configuration of applications.
- Research current trends and developments in the industry relevant to applications under charge.
- Identify where new solutions or enhancements to current applications may improve operational or functional efficiency of assigned applications.
- Identify when assigned system applications are becoming outdated; recommend implementations of new technologies accordingly.
- Maintain an awareness of new products, technologies, trends, and advances in the profession.
- Read professional manuals and publications to increase knowledge of computer operation.
- Attend user group meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions as appropriate.
- Provide project leadership for application installations, upgrades, and or modifications; may require management of multiple projects simultaneously to ensure adherence to critical paths and project goals.
- Provide advisement and consultation with management regarding the application strategies of the assigned systems, problem anticipation and problem solving on an enterprise level.
- Assists in developing strategic plans and identifies key success factors, setting priorities, and allocating resources to achieve unit, division, and City goals.
- Guides less-experienced Software Support Engineers in locating the necessary tools and process to identify troublesome trends as they develop.
- Show leadership and mentor less-experienced Software Support Engineers.
- Represents the city at various conferences and meetings.
- Lead, facilitate and/or participate in projects as they pertain to the deployment, modification, update, or retirement of the application inventory
- Analyze application needs specific to the process assigned; design requirements and specifications; perform system and program enhancements; develop and conduct system and program testing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Requirements
- Working knowledge of Computer Systems with at least Five (5) or more years of progressively knowledgeable, responsible and skilled experience providing technical support including the following areas:
- SQL Server, Crystal Reports, SQL, ODBC and Visual basic a plus.
- A strong understanding of relational databases and data analysis is required.
- Knowledgeable and skilled experience providing in-person technical presentations and training.
- Applications analysis and support, including testing, debugging and maintaining various applications and technologies
- Prefer a candidate with:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems.
- Experience with cloud computing:
- ITIL v3 Foundations certification
- Knowledge of scripting languages (Windows PowerShell and VBScript).
- Project Management training and certification(s).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
|Necessary Skills and Abilities -|
- Considerable knowledge of modern electronic data processing theory, principles, and practices; considerable knowledge of management information systems;
- Considerable knowledge of office automation and computerized financial applications; Windows (versions 7, 8 and 10) Windows 2016/2019 Server, Microsoft Office 2016/365 Professional, and TCP/IP Routing.
- Ability to prepare and analyze complex reports;
- Ability to maintain efficient and effective automated systems;
- Ability to develop simple software programs;
- Ability to install and troubleshoot PC systems;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials;
- Ability to communicate effective orally and in writing.