Civil Engineering Intern
Closes On: May 13, 2022 at 04:30 PM EST
Department: Public Works Administration
Job Status: Part-Time
Days Worked: Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Rate of Pay: $18.19 -
Definition of Class
This job involves entry-level sub-professional and clerical work in support of engineering staff. Work in this class includes extensive on-the-job training. Employees in this class are expected to be actively enrolled in a duly accredited community / technical college or university in the study of Engineering associated with their assigned department. Employees are expected to be developing skills in basic computer operation, computer & hand drafting, surveying, and engineering design. Employees in this class will work under the direct guidance of a qualified engineer and/or engineering associate / designer. The employee will be assigned a variety of tasks in support of and involved with the design, construction, maintenance, and operation of municipal utilities and/or public works projects and activities. Employees in this class work under general supervision. Work originates upon assignment from a member of the engineering and/or administrative staff. Routine tasks are expected to be learned and eventually completed with little or no direct supervision. This is a safety-sensitive, non-exempt position.
Essential Duties Performed
- Assists engineering staff with land surveying projects;
- Operates GPS equipment for the location and mapping of various public works facilities;
- Prepares various calculations for utilities and public works designs and facilities;
- Performs drafting associated with the creation and maintenance of mapping files;
- Performs manual and computerized clerical work associated with the creation and maintenance of project files, map & plat files, general correspondence files, etc.;
- Develops lists of materials for designed and/or constructed public works facilities;
- Obtains a wide variety of field information including locations of traffic control devices, traffic volumes / movements, utility and drainage structures, infrastructure evaluations / assessments, etc.;
- Installs, maintains, and collects & manages data recorded by traffic counters, flow meters, etc.;
- Assists with field tests and inspections related to contract, project or regulatory compliance;
- Assists engineering and administrative staff in the performance of their duties;
- Prepares as-built sketches and drawings from collected field data.
OTHER DUTIES PERFORMED
- Performs manual labor in the performance of the tasks outlined above;
- Operates automotive equipment;
- Reports to work as scheduled and on time;
- Works overtime as required;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Requirements
High school graduate or GED.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities -|
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret written communications;
- Ability to respond to verbal inquiries from management, staff, and customers;
- Ability to effectively present information verbally and/or in writing;
- Knowledge of arithmetic and basic mathematical principles;
- Ability to assist with field surveys and to make sketches and diagrams representing field conditions;
- Basic working knowledge of a personal computer including Microsoft Word and Excel or ability to acquire basic computer skills within a very short period of time;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to learn new procedures and to apply the same to a variety of tasks.