Public Works Associate I
Closes On: May 12, 2023 at 04:30 PM EST
|Shift:||6:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Days:||Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.|
|Rate of Pay:||$31,844.56 - $50,908.33|
Definition of Class
This is unskilled work in the performance of a variety tasks in support of sanitation operations and services. Employees in this class are responsible for the performance of work of a heavy, manual nature which does not require a high degree of manipulative skill or previous experience. Work is usually performed under the immediate direction of a crew leader and/or Division Supervisor; however, constant supervision is not necessary for familiar tasks which can be carried out without difficulty once learned. In that regard, some independent decision-making and self-motivation are required. Employees in this class exercise no supervision. Work is reviewed by direct observation of the supervisor. This is a safety-sensitive position.
Essential Duties Performed
- Lifts, carries and dumps garbage containers into garbage truck; operates garbage packers;
- Lifts, carries and places brush and other yard wastes, discarded furniture, demolition debris and other rubbish into Sanitation trucks;
- Collects litter and other debris from along public streets, parks, trails, etc.;
- Operates motorized leaf collection equipment;
- Inspects garbage for hazardous materials or unlawful dumping;
- Assists driver in unloading garbage truck;
- Construction / installation, maintenance and repair of landscaping, lawn / turf grass, shrubbery, trees, and City owned properties;
- Operates a variety of mowing equipment including push mowers, riding mowers, tractors, etc.
- Assists with the construction / installation, repair and maintenance of a variety of infrastructure systems;
- Constructs / installs, maintains and repairs flower beds, irrigation systems and other similar structures associated with the employee’s assigned division;
- Assists with the placement, finishing, repair and maintenance of asphalt, concrete, etc.;
- Digs and cleans ditches;
- Assists employees in the performance of a variety of duties;
- May be required to work standby on a rotating basis;
- Subject to call-in for specified emergencies;
- Reports to work as scheduled and on time, even under inclement weather conditions.
OTHER DUTIES PERFORMED
- Participates on various employee teams as assigned;
- Service Center recycling, general cleaning, and maintenance;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Requirements
- Graduation from a standard senior high school (or possession of General Equivalency Diploma) and experience in performing heavy manual work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities-|
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret written communications;
- Ability to respond to verbal inquiries from management, staff, and customers;
- Ability to effectively present information verbally and/or in writing;
- Knowledge of proper lifting techniques;
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral and written instructions;
- Ability to perform very heavy manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable climatic conditions;
- Ability to learn new procedures and to apply the same to a variety of tasks;
- Ability to acquire a Class A Commercial Driver’s License with appropriate endorsements (required for most advancements beyond Sanitation Worker I/II).
Possession of a valid appropriate driver's license issued by the State of Tennessee.